The folks over at Natural Balance were kind enough to ask us if we’d like to sample and tell you about ALPHA, their line of premium, grain-free dog food. They’re also sponsoring an upcoming giveaway for a chance to win a GENEROUS supply of this dog or cat food so stay tuned for that, too!
Because of Daisy’s sensitive tummy her vet recommends allowing at least 4 weeks to gradually transition from one dog food to another and as I’ve mentioned before, Daisy is a very picky eater so we don’t go switching her food around very often. I’d heard lots of positive feedback about Natural Balance and Grain-Free diets from other pet parents and trainers, so I was interested in the opportunity to let her try it. We sometimes use different flavors of premium and holistic kibble as training treats and snacks just to give her some variety, so that’s what I decided to do with the ALPHA samples from Natural Balance.
I did some research to find out a little more about ALPHA and here are a few key facts that impressed me:
- contains Prebiotics to help support healthy digestion
- completely grain-free, meaning no cheap fillers and easier on dogs with sensitivities or allergies
- contains a moderate protein level (our vet warned us not to overdo it on the protein levels but ask yours for advice on how much your dog needs)
- uses garbanzo beans as a high quality source of protein
Chicken, Turkey & Duck
Trout, Salmon Meal & Whitefish
Lamb, Chicken Meal & Rabbit
Daisy has let us know in the past that her personal preference is for fish so we started with the trout variety. Rather than mixing it with her current food, I decided to use it in her Seek A Treat Dog Puzzle. She was apparently VERY excited about this and almost flipped the whole thing over trying to find which compartments I had hidden the kibble in! Here she is after she finally calmed down a little bit and could focus on the puzzle:
Since picky Daisy seemed to REALLY like the Natural Balance ALPHA and her sensitive tummy seemed to be doing fine after a few days of very small amounts, we decided to let her have more, and starting using it in her KONG Wobbler . I often fill this toy with kibble to keep her occupied so she doesn’t get stressed out when there is a noisy storm, or to keep her busy when she is stuck inside and getting bored. Here, we are trying out the Chicken, Turkey & Duck formula:
She tried to “wobble” all the kibble out of her Wobbler so fast that it’s all a blur!
Since things seem to be going so well, and Daisy really does enjoy the variety of flavors, I’m planning to continue using Natural Balance ALPHA this way, gradually increasing the amount and continuing to see how she does before making a decision about switching her mealtime kibble completely. I feel really good about the reputation of Natural Balance, the quality of their ingredients and the idea of a grain-free diet for Daisy.
I also discovered that Natural Balance is so concerned about health and safety that they test each and every batch of pet food before it reaches store shelves. You can check any batch, view laboratory test results and learn more here.
Before switching pet food, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Speak with your dog or cat’s veterinarian for advice and recommendations, especially if your pet has special dietary, nutritional or health concerns
- Take time to transition gradually. Never completely change your pet’s brand suddenly unless your vet prescribes it
- Be patient and observant. Even with premium brands, some pets have personal preferences, skin allergies or are picky eaters and react differently to different ingredients or formulas. It sometimes takes a bit of trial-and-error to find just the right one for your fur baby!
Visit Natural Balance for more information and nutritional analysis of ALPHA Grain-Free dog and cat food. To connect with other pet parents using Natural Balance, view photos of their cats and dogs, and get access to coupons and promotions, visit Natural Balance on Facebook.
Stay tuned for a new giveaway starting soon! One lucky pet parent will win a generous supply of Natural Balance ALPHA Premium Cat or Dog Food!
We received the samples pictured above. I did not receive any form of compensation for this product review and all opinions are 100% my own. Remember to always seek the advice of a veterinarian or other trained professional for information and recommendations regarding pet food, nutrition, diet and pet health conditions.