Daisy’s funny smile is one of the many things we love about her. It makes ME smile just seeing her crooked, toothy grin, and we’re doing everything we can to help keep her teeth and mouth healthy. In addition to keeping your dog’s smile looking good, a lot of pet parents don’t realize that proper oral care is super important for your dog’s overall health too!
Just like with people, if a pet gets gum disease from poor oral hygiene, bacteria from their mouth could enter their bloodstream and travel to the heart, lungs, kidneys, and other organs. Unfortunately, unlike humans, we can’t teach our fur kids how to brush and floss so we have to be responsible for keeping their mouth healthy and clean for them!
Whether you’ve got a new puppy or have an older dog, here are some tips for you:
- Brush your dog’s teeth daily and only use toothpaste that is designed for pets (never use human toothpaste). Daisy likes the poultry flavor and thinks tooth brushing is a big treat!
- Out of sight, out of mind. Keep your dog’s tooth brush and toothpaste somewhere handy where you’ll see it and remember to use it. We keep all of Daisy’s important supplies up on top of the microwave in a big bowl where we can see it but she can’t get into it.
- Watch out for early signs of gum and dental disease. If your dog starts getting bad breath or you notice their gums are bleeding, be sure to see the vet. Even if you don’t see these symptoms, remember to ask your veterinarian about your dog’s oral health at every annual exam.
- Treat your dog with snacks designed to aid in oral care, like Pedigree Dentastix treats. They’re clinically proven to reduce tartar buildup (a contributor to gum disease) by up to 80% when used daily. They’ve got a special texture and patented X-shape. They help clean between teeth and down to the gum line. You’ll find them in sizes for every dog, too!
Win a $100 Visa Gift Card
- Limit of One comment per person/IP Address/email/household
- Must be US resident with US mailing address
- Comment by 11:59pm EST on March 10, 2013 when giveaway ends
- Only comments left on this blog post are eligible
- Winner will be randomly selected from all comments, using random.org
- Winner must reply to prize notification email within 24 hours or new winner will be chosen
- Void where prohibited by law