Everyone knows that dogs can swim, and most dogs LOVE swimming so much that it can be difficult to get them out of the lake/ocean/pond/pool when it’s time to towel off and call it a day. So then why do they make life jackets for dogs?
Well, it turns out there are several very important reasons why your dog might need a life jacket. Now that Memorial Day is behind us and things are starting to heat up, be sure to take a sec for this important pet safety info.
Why Get a Life Jacket for Your Dog
- Some dogs can’t swim: It’s a somewhat well-kept secret that certain breeds of dogs are NOT build for swimming. For their own safety, you’ll want to make sure they are wearing a life jacket whenever they are near the water. Bulldogs are one example, but check with your professional trainer or veterinarian if you aren’t sure.
- You’re on a boat: This one seems like a no-brainer but I’ll mention it anyway. Every family member needs their own life jacket whenever you are out on a water craft and that includes your dog. If your dog accidentally falls overboard, there is an emergency or accident, a life jacket could help save their life.
- Your dog is elderly or disabled: Swimming can be both enjoyable and therapeutic for dogs of all ages and abilities. By putting a life jacket on your dog, they will be able to play safely in the water with their pals, regardless of their limitations.
- Dogs get tired: Have you ever accidentally swam out so far from shore that you were almost too tired to get back? Luckily, most of us have learned to float or tread water, but dogs don’t know what to do if they get tired. In fact, most of the time, dogs are having so much fun that they won’t realize when they’ve become overly tired and might not be able to swim back to safety on their own. If your dog is going to swim and play in a large body of water where they might get distracted and swim out too far, consider putting a life jacket on your pup.
Regardless of whether or not you decide to get a life jacket for your dog, it’s absolutely essential that you never leave your dog unattended in or around the water.
If you do decide you’d like to get one, here are 3 top-rated life jacket brands for dogs:
- Paws Aboard makes life jackets and other aquatic products for dogs, including the super CUTE Lifeguard dog water jacket pictured at the top of this post. Go HERE to view all the sizes and styles.
- Kyjen makes several products for the active and outdoor-loving dog including the Kyjen Outward Hound Life Jacket for dogs. It comes in bright colors for great visibility, and in sizes for dogs from 11-90 pounds.
- Kurgo also makes a popular life jacket for dogs, the Surf n’ Turf Red Dog Lifejacket and Coat